Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The MOB at Snake Alley

Contributed by Travis Jass



The whistle blew and immediately I was of to a terrible start. I had all sorts of trouble getting my right shoe and pedal to conjoin. I managed to rejoin the group by the time we hit the snake on the first lap only to get cut off at nearly a dead stop in the middle of the first switchback.

Another rider and myself were forced into the curb and we both had to unclip to stay upright. We both ended up walking our bikes the rest of the way up the snake. What a trick that is trying to quickly get up the bricks in cycling shoes. I know he fell at least twice. He got assistance from someone getting back on at the top and by the time I had remounted I was DFL.

I got a full head of steam up on the back side of the course and ended up passing him and another by the time we got to the snake on lap 2. Things got much better after that as I just kept hammering away and passing what seemed like 1-2 riders per lap.

At the conclusion I was quickly gaining ground on two more riders coming up to the finish line but I ran out of real estate before the line to overtake them. Checked the results, I ended up 10th, and 4th Iowan. I was pretty pleased considering, and it was my first time there ever and my first crit ever.

No comments: